Sunday, July 31, 2011

Great Find in Breckenridge

While window shopping on Main Street in Breckenridge a couple of weeks ago, I was drawn (and Rob followed!) to a small, bright yellow cottage that housed a real cook's paradise. The shop is known as Spice Merchants. With shelf after shelf of spices, spice blends, sea salts, various sugars and tea blends to choose from, it was tempting to try them all. Merchandise is displayed in glass containers with lids that you can take off to get a good whiff. The experience of this place is very interactive. Everything is vibrant and super fragrant. As I enhaled I could practically taste all the goodies that I'd making once I got these spices home. On the wall next to all these containers are premeasured sample packets of I'm guessing the most popular choices. You could also buy more in bulk if you wanted. Rob and I had a quick powwow and decided to pick out 1 sea salt, a rub, a sugar and a tea. Here's what we left with on this visit - because I'm sure there will be many more (at least by internet at www.spicemerchants.biz).

Chardonnay Oak Smoked Fleur de Sel was our first pick. The label of the packet we bought read "Fine French Fleur de Sel is poured into aged oak wine barrels to absorb the chardonnay nuances. The salt is emptied and then barrels are then fired to create the smoke-dried salt. A handmade process from start to finish, this is truly an artisan salt. Use as a fine hors-de-oeuvres salt." I tried a pinch rubbed into some salmon with a little freshly ground pepper and olive oil that Rob grilled on the Weber and it was exquisite. I will absolutely reorder this once the packet is empty.

Our sugar pick was Dark Cocoa Sugar. The idea behind this choice was to be able to create mochas at home. This one will not be a rebuy since I think you'd need the whole packet (about 2 Tbls. at $2.29 each) to make a real taste difference in coffee. I'm sure I'll think of something that will be a better use of this one.

OMG!! Just tried our tea choice this afternoon - Mayan Chocolate Truffle! It's caffeine free and made of chocolate chips, red pepper flecks, apple and strawberry. The smell of this tea in the packet and while it' brewing is intoxicatingly chocolaty! The store proprietor told us that some of her regulars add a spoonful of strawberry jam to sweeten it, instead of honey. I made it into iced tea and Rob and I shared with our friend Christy. That's how much we like her! :) It was amazing. First of all, no sweetener required. It was plenty sweet on its own. Chocolate is the first flavor that you noticed. I noticed the red pepper, but is was subtle and fit right in. The apple and strawberry came through too. We tried a pinch of the dark cocoa sugar about half way through drinking to see if it would enhance the flavor, but all agreed that it made no impact. Again, I think you need a bunch of it to make a difference. I'll keep looking for a better use for the cocoa sugar. But back to the tea. It is a definite hit and I will be purchasing more supplies in the near future.

Last choice will be tried tonight on Alaskan Wild Sockeye Salmon Filet. It's Cranberry Maple Rub. The label says "This is one of our newest products and works great for the holidays. Use this colorful (it's pink) and tasty blend to brighten up ham, chicken and pork. It can be used as a rub or created into a glaze. Made from cranberry powder, cranberry extract, maple powder, orange peel, garlic, onion, celery, cane juice, sea salt and spices." I can definitely spell the celery. Can hardly wait till dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you are too kind! :P
    It really was great tea. How was the salmon?

    I found the Spice Merchant online store here -
    https://spicemerchants.biz/sm/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salmon was good, although not as good as with the Chardonnay oak salt. That was definitely the best. We had wild & brown rice with the salmon on Sunday. Rob thought I should have added some of the maple cranberry rub mix to that. He also had a great idea for the cocoa sugar - to add it to instant espresso for a beef or bison rub. I'll let you know how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete