Sunday, October 2, 2011

3 Day Staycation Deconstructed - Part 1 - Lunch!

If you wondered why I didn't blog in September it was because i had nothing to say :) Let's face it, it was still HOT, work was totally absorbing me and between the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 and the Bastrop fires I was at a loss for words that I thought were meaniful.

I took a day off from work on Friday and rediscovered that knowing what you want and need is the only way to get it. What started off as a plan with my dear friend, Irene, to go to lunch and take a little break from my job turned into an all out 3 day Staycation.

It didn't hurt that the weather was insanely beautiful. After going with Rob to take Emily to school, something that I almost never do, I went for a long brisk walk. At noon Irene came to pick me up for lunch at a wonderful wine bar and restaurant called Cru, which has newly opened in the luxurious upper Kirby district "WestAve Complex". As it turned out Cru wasn't open for lunch so we tried another restaurant right next to it called Pondicheri. As soon as we stuck our heads in the door we were both completely captivated! The first order of business was to determine if they had wine. Check! We were in business. A hot magenta wall on our right set the stage for the intense flavor and visual experience that I promise will bring me back time and time again. The menu looked fresh, homey, full of spice and healthy. I quickly decided on the "Earth Thali" and after some deliberation, Irene chose the Yogi Thali. We both order a glass of Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. The Thali is described as a traditional chef sampler platter. Mine had spiced okra, seasonal vegetable curry, saga paneer, barley salad, dal and naan. In case you haven't figured it out, Pondicheri is an Indian restaurant. I can speak to Irene's experience because she, like myself, was oohing and aching throughout the entire meal. Wine first, it was crisp, not too citrusy and light. A perfect accompaniment to the meal. Okay, dish by dish, this was unlike anything I've ever experienced. Each item was displayed in it's own stainless steel bowl (each contained about 1/2 cup of pure yum!) on a large stainless steel platter. The spiced okra was the best okra and my favorite item, well maybe a tie with the naan or the scrumptious little bite of dessert that came in it's own little small shiny bowl. I've had fried okra and I've had boiled okra alone and in gumbo. Fried or slimy, that has been my experience with okra prior to this meal. Now, I love okra. Perhaps it was grilled, or pan sautéed, but it was a perfect texture and had just the right amount of spice. I detected cumin. It was scrumptious!! The seasonal curry was cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Also yummy. The saag paneer, a traditional Indian standby of creamed spinach with a tofu-like cheese, was unique in that it was made from both spinach and mustard greens. Heavenly is a good way to describe it. The barley salad was nothing short of stunningly beautiful. It must have had beet juice because it was brilliantly colored - beet red, orange and pink with bits of jicama that gave it a nice crunch interspersed with the chewy texture of the barley. It was a work of art in a bowl. At first I thought the dal was a corn soup. About midway through the meal I realized it was yellow lentils. It was my least favorite, but was still pretty tasty. Then there was the naan. OMG. It was obvious they make it in-house. Warm, soft, super delicious. I did try some of Irene's Paratha (another Indian bread)- equally magnificent! And then there was the little bite of dessert, a soupy, almondy rice pudding, I think. It was a sweet little taste of heaven.

And that was lunch. More of the 3 Day Staycation the next post.....

No comments:

Post a Comment